EarthQuaker Devices Afterneath V3
Enhanced Otherworldly Reverberation Machine
EarthQuaker Devices has taken everything that was great about the original Afterneath and made it even better – The: 9 new Modes, CV/expression pedal control over the Drag parameter, Trails/No Trails Switching, helping to push the already unflappable Afterneath into a whole new realm.
The Afterneath V3 sounds a lot like it looks – a wizard bursting forth from ethereal cave and ready for the ambient battle. You are the wizard (or sorceress, if you prefer) and the cave is your instrument’s signal, vast, expansive and magical. Do you go inside? Roll a D20 to proceed!
• Same otherworldly reverb algorithm built from an adjustable cluster of short delays
• Ranges from scattered individual delays to an immersive wash of atmospheric reverb
• New control over the Drag parameter with 9 unique modes of user-selectable sweep.
These new modes of operation push the already unflappable Afterneath into a whole new realm:
1. Unquantized: Smooth, unquantized response over the operating range
2. Unquantized with Slew: Smooth, unquantized response over the entire operating range, but with a musical slew that is reminiscent of turning the varispeed knob on a vintage British tape delay. The “Drag” will lag behind the knob or cv changes, but then quickly catch up
3. Unquantized Volt/Octave: Smooth and unquantized, yet scaled to align with the 1v/octave curve to allow melodic modulation of audio in the buffer, or control the frequency of self-oscillation like a voltage-controlled oscillator
4. Chromatic Scale: Quantized 1v/octave to the chromatic scale
5. Major Scale: Quantized 1v/octave to the major scale
6. Minor Scale: Quantized 1v/octave to the minor scale
7. Pentatonic Scale: Quantized 1v/octave to the pentatonic scale
8. Octaves & Fifths: Quantized 1v/octave to omit all but octaves and fifths
9. Octaves: Quantized 1v/octave to omit all but octaves
• Flexi-Switch™ – allows for momentary and latching-style operation from a single footswitch
• Silent soft-touch switching with True Bypass
• Tails/No Tails switching
• Voltage or expression pedal control jack for the Drag parameter
• All analog dry signal path and a totally digital effect signal path
• Powered by regular 9 V DC PSU
(centre -, 2.1 mm, ~100 mA current draw)
The Afterneath V3 features a completely analog dry signal path, totally digital delay path, buffered bypass with Flexi Switch Technology and a tails/no tails option on bypass. Each and every Afterneath V3 is built by a mix of robots and human beans in the torch-lit cave community of Akron, Ohio.
Length: Controls the decay length of the reverb.
Diffuse: Adjusts the spread of the reverb. Sharper with more attack counter clockwise, more ambient and washy as you turn it clockwise.
Dampen: Clockwise for brighter tones, counter clockwise for darker tones.
Drag: This digital reverb is made up of a bunch of short delays, this separates the delay lines creating a stuttering, pingy effect. This is the coolest control on the Afterneath, we highly advise slowly turning this while you let notes ring out for a cool warped speed effect. More delay as you turn it counter clockwise, more reverb as you turn it clockwise.
Reflect: Controls the regeneration of the reverb, turn clockwise for more wash and echos, counterclockwise for less. This will self oscillate if turned up high.
Mix: Blends the wet signal into the dry. Though it does not actually go full wet, it will gradually lower the clean level as you turn it clockwise and give the appearance of full wet.
Measures: 4 5/8″ x 2 1/2″ x 2.25″ with knobs
Power:A standard 9 volt DC power supply with a negative center 2.1mm barrel, no battery option. We do not recommend using this pedal on a daisy chain. Please use a a dedicated power supply or isolated output from a multiple tap power supply for best performance. Do not use any generic adapter (anything from RadioShack or similar). Do not run at higher voltages! Current Draw is approx 100ma.